Client: 11MW steam turbine of the power plant.
- Thrust monitoring system for shaft axial position (Thrust position) measurement in Steam Turbine
- Axial/thrust position measurement with relays & contacts for alarm and tripping along with Field Monitoring display.
Solution Features, Differentiators & Role of Masibus:
- Non-contact type Sensor Indicates the dynamic motion of the shaft relative to the bearing
- Digital indicator
- Relays & contacts for alarm and tripping with provision to change the alarm / trip settings. Output of 4 to 20 mA as an optional arrangement for taking the signal to PLC Field Monitoring Display
- Masibus supplied the system comprising of non-contact type proximity sensor MDS10, Extension Cable, Trust Transmitter DC02, Field Monitoring Display – Masibus 409 with relays & contacts for alarm and tripping (alarms at -0.6 and +0.6 mm; trip at -0.8 and +0.8 mm), with provision to change the alarm/trip settings. Output of 4 to 20 mA as an optional arrangement for taking the signal to PLC.
- Thrust position measurement provides early warning of thrust bearing failure. The non-contacting displacement probe transmitter system is a gap to DC current device that measure static distance between the probe tip and the observed target
- Thrust monitoring system monitors machine trends and alarms in case of excessive axial movement to avoid serious problems give warning well in advance of changes evident from permanent instrumentation systems. In case of failure the cost of rotor is more & also time taken for rotor manufacturing is also more. Thrust monitoring avoid high cost breakdown maintenance
- In case of critical machines like turbo-generators, compressors the axial position measurement accomplished by two/three sensors helps to reach the highest reliability of the protection.